Login Help

ACVPM: Promoting the Improvement of Animal, Human & Environmental Health

The American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine was originally founded in 1950 as the American Board of Veterinary Public Health and was one of the first two specialties recognized by the AVMA.

The group was formed by 12 veterinarians with distinguished backgrounds in the U.S. Army Veterinary Corps; Public Health Service at the city, state, and international levels; and veterinarians active in academia. As the original name implies, the group’s purpose was to examine and certify veterinarians in the specialty of veterinary public health.

Seven veterinarians were certified following successful completion of the first formal board examination in 1953. Since that time, our membership has grown to more than 700 members.

The American Board of Veterinary Public Health evolved into the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine (ACVPM) in 1978, enabling the unification of veterinary public health and veterinary regulatory medicine practitioners under one specialty.

In 1984, the ACVPM Epidemiology Specialty was approved by the AVMA, and formal examinations began in 1987.

ACVPM continues to promote the improvement of animal, human, and environmental health through:

The ACVPM counts among our diplomates some of the most outstanding veterinary personalities in public health and preventive medicine on both the national and international scenes. For example, more than half of all recipients of the AVMA Public Service Award are diplomates of the ACVPM.

*For a more complete history of ACVPM, please read Dr. Thomas G. Murnane’s “Historical and Future Perspectives of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine.